Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Holy Guacamole!

I have been making guacamole for many years and have always made it with a mix that I bought at Meijer in Indiana. I use "McCormick`s Produce Partners Mild Great Guacamole" mix. When I moved to Virginia I had to import the mix whenever I went back to Indiana or Ohio to visit relatives. There were trips where I would go to a Meijer and buy 15 or 20 packets. I still have many packets left to use here in Texas. The good news is that I can get the packets here when I run out. Get with the program Virginia!

Here is how I make my guacamole.

I use 2 to 3 large Hass ripe avocados, mashed
I add about half or more of the mix
Hellmans light mayo (maybe 1 and 1/2 Tbs)
Light Daisy sour cream (About 2 Tbs)
One squeeze of a half of a lime
One chopped Roma tomato, or small tomato (remove the seeds)

Mix to together and test and test and test, Yum!

As you can see I eyeball most of the ingredients so it is hard for me to put the exact amounts of the ingredients. I think Guacamole is a personal taste and is made so many different ways that you have to play with it to get the taste you like. As you can see I do not use cilantro. I am one of the the many people in the world that does not like the taste of cilantro, and I think it has a taste like dish soap. Flash back to getting my mouth washed out with soap as a kid, lol. There is even an "I Hate Cilantro" website.

Now, back to the reason for this blog. I have been making guacamole for years and hated that when you save the leftovers and go to eat it the next day it is all brown from oxidation. I have done everything I could think of to stop oxidation. I have put the leftovers in a baggie and sucked the air out. This works, but it is hard to get all the dip out of the bag. I put the leftovers in a plastic container and put plastic wrap directly onto the dip, pushing it onto the dip to try to get all the air out and then put on a lid. The top was still brown. Then I went online and saw the best idea for my problem.

I made my dip, ate and ate and ate. I put the leftovers in a plastic container, smoothed the top of the dip, I filled a cup with lukewarm water and slowly poured the water over the top of the dip, just enough to cover the whole top surface of the dip. I put on the lid and refrigerated the leftover dip.

The water after a few days is brown so I was worried about what I was going to find underneath.
Three days later I took the dip out, gently poured off the water. Mixed the dip to incorporate any drops of water that was left, and then gave it a taste. HOLY GUACAMOLE! The dip was still green after 3 days and the taste was still really good. Why did it take me this long to find this magic solution?

Green Guacamole! A few very small brown spot where I didn't have all the dip under water. Once it was mixed it was all green.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grandma's Quilt

  My Paternal Grandma was a quilter. I mean a hardcore, full size, wood frame, hand sewn quilter. I remember as a kid in the 60s and 70s goi...