Saturday, May 28, 2016

Candles, Flashlights and Smart Phones

My electricity just went out this evening, for no apparent reason. In most cases when the electricity goes out it is because of weather and you are able to prepare for the possibility of an outage. This evening was beautiful weather, I was by myself in the house watching TV and out goes the lights. Thank goodness I was texting my sister at the time and had my phone with me to use the flashlight to search for supplies.

After several calls to the electric company and getting the "all circuits are busy" message, I realized I was not prepared for the possibility of an outage. First, I had to use my phone flashlight to find some candles and a lighter.  Second, I used my phone to find a real flashlight. Lastly, because it was late in the evening and my phone battery was low, I needed to find a way to charge my phone.

Lessons learned tonight, have a phone battery and cord stored in a specific place for power outages. Make sure that all flash lights have working batteries in them. Do not use the candle with the special wick that craclkles. The biggest lesson I learned tonight is that I need to purchase unscented candles for power outages. After burning five candles with different scents, not having electricity wasn't the only thing giving me a headache.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Grandma's Quilt

  My Paternal Grandma was a quilter. I mean a hardcore, full size, wood frame, hand sewn quilter. I remember as a kid in the 60s and 70s goi...