Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The Art of Folding Clothes

My daughter bought the book "the life-changing magic of tidying up" by Marie Kondo. Yes, I do know I did not capitalize the letter in the name. Just copying the title on the book. Back to my daughter, during the Holidays she was going through a cleaning and purging stage, and used the book to guide her. She was telling me and my Son's girlfriend about how Marie Kondo folds clothes and puts them in the drawers. Forever the skeptic, I poo pooed the whole thing until I saw my daughters dresser. I was a convert.


Now this book has a lot of ideas on how to go through your clothes and household items to organize and purge. I followed some of the suggestions, but mostly I fell in love with the folding.

This is how I folded my long sleeve Ts. First fold the arms in and about 1/4 in on each side.

Fold again in half length wise.

Fold in half from bottom to top.

Fold in half again.
I love that I can see every item in all my drawers and do not have to dig through stacks of shirts, for example, to find what I am looking for. There were always the clothes on the bottom that were never worn, because It was easier to just grab what was close to the top of the stack in the drawer. To be able to open my drawers and see every item has made me feel like I am wearing all my clothes, and not just the same items all the time.

All of my long sleeve t-shirts fit in one drawer and I can see all of them.

Shells and camisoles all easy to be seen and in one drawer.

Don't even get me started on my husbands dress socks. I can get over 60 pairs of socks in a small drawer and he can see every pair. It is life changing. Well, maybe not life changing, but it definitely makes it easier to find the right color. Not to mention it is much more pleasing to the eye. My husband loves his sock drawer.

The dreaded sock balls that we use to fill my husband sock drawer.
New sock drawer!
My husband has not come from the dark side to the magic of folding, with the exception of his sock drawer, but I have seen the light!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grandma's Quilt

  My Paternal Grandma was a quilter. I mean a hardcore, full size, wood frame, hand sewn quilter. I remember as a kid in the 60s and 70s goi...