Thursday, April 28, 2016

Texas Hail

We have been living in Texas for a few years and Monday, April 11th we had our first real Texas hail storm. I have heard of these storms, and we had one hit close by a few weeks ago, but you really have no idea how crazy they are until you live through one.

I learned a valuable lesson on that Monday. Always check the weather radar before you go out if there is the slightest chance of severe weather. I went out to take my Granddaughter to my Grandson's swimming lessons. When I left for the 10 minute trip, the sun was out, and the bad weather looked way far in the distance. I pulled into a parking space right in front of the swimming building and the storm was right there. I barely had time to get the baby out of the car when the tornado sirens started and the hail started to fall. I got to watch my car get pelted by hail for a good 15 minutes. It just made me sick knowing there was absolutely nothing I could do to stop the inevitable damage.

Hail in the flower beds
When the storm was over, and I drove back home, I was surprised to find only one small dent in the hood of my car. I then went outside my front door to see piles of ice all over the yard and in the flower beds. There were some plants that were damaged and the hail just beat the leaves off the trees. The interesting part was the size difference in the hail balls. They were mostly about dime size but there were golf ball size hail mixed in. Those were the ones that did most of the damage.

The largest hail balls I found in my yard.

You can see the difference in the hail sizes from the same storm that hit our house.
We got off pretty lucky because a few miles from us in Wylie, TX  they were hit with baseball size hail and homes were demolished. Windows in homes and cars were broken and the hail not only dented roofs in the area, but put holes in the roofs. These homes and cars were not only damaged on the outside, but were then getting water damage inside because of the wind and rains that followed the hail.

This is a hail ball from Wylie, TX not far from us. 
Do you think I will ever drive out in this kind of weather again?  Hail no!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grandma's Quilt

  My Paternal Grandma was a quilter. I mean a hardcore, full size, wood frame, hand sewn quilter. I remember as a kid in the 60s and 70s goi...