Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Decorating My Kitchen Island

Our new house has a huge Kitchen island and needed a decoration to break it up a bit. I started with a square flat dish with black beans on the bottom, and candles sitting in them. It looked OK, but needed to be bigger.

Simple and boring
Time to go shopping! I never get time anymore to shop during the week, so I took advantage of not babysitting on Good Friday and did some shopping therapy.

First stop was JoAnn Fabric. I was there to look for fabric to cover a chair, but saw they had a 50% off sale on all their garden items. I found three bird cages that were in the perfect green for my kitchen, and got them for less than $15 each. My mind was going into overdrive trying to think what to put in them. My first thought was I would just put the black beans in the bottom and put one candle in each.  Then I saw the cutest glass white birds that light up. Now, I was thinking one small bird in two of them and a larger bird in the middle cage.

Cute little birds, and they light up.
Next Stop Stein Mart. This trip was to look for a quilt, and instead I found the cutest green and brown glass birds. Now, I am rethinking the cages and how to set them up. I have two round and one rectangle cage and I am definitely putting the dry black beans in the bottom. What to put in next is the question, candles, birds or a mixture?

Love these birds. Does that make them Lovebirds?

I chose the birds. The small white birds in the round cages and the taller green and brown birds in the rectangle cage. They turned out cute and cover just the right amount of space. Success!



I told you they lit up!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Grandma's Quilt

  My Paternal Grandma was a quilter. I mean a hardcore, full size, wood frame, hand sewn quilter. I remember as a kid in the 60s and 70s goi...