Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Nursery Framed Picture Collage



My daughter enlisted me to help decorate my granddaughter's nursery. She wanted to decorate it in a Peter Rabbit theme using the Peter Rabbit bedding from Pottery Barn.

Pottery Barn's Peter Rabbit Quilt
The inspiration for the room came from a watercolor picture of a Peter Rabbit scene that my daughter painted when she was a teenager.

This painting by my daughter was the inspiration piece for my Granddaughter's nursery.
We decided we wanted to use white antique and Victorian looking frames for the baby's wall. I went on some shopping trips to Home Goods and some local antique stores, and I was able to get about a dozen frames. I also found a cute small white wood doll chair for the room.  Some of the frames needed to be modified a bit. I had to take the table stands off the back of some of the frames so they would hang flat on the wall. Some did not come with backs at all. For these frames I cut a back out of scrap cardboard and taped it to the back to hold the picture in place.

One of the antique frames I bought for this project.
This is the back I added to the antique frame. As you can see I used the cardboard from another frame. I did not have to use tape because this frame has built in tabs to hold it in place.
Next, I went shopping for some Peter Rabbit books. I went to local book stores and found some paper back and hard back Beatrix Potter books that had some beautiful pictures in them. Not all the pictures were of Peter Rabbit, but her pictures and stories were of animals, and many were perfect for the room. The paper back Peter Rabbit books I bought I used for decoupaging letters that I will talk about in a later blog. Most of the framed pictures I used were from one of the hard back books.

This is the book I used for most of the pictures.

This is an example of one of the pictures I did not use. As you can read the subject matter is not appropriate for a baby's room and the picture pretty much reflects the story. Yikes!
I decided I wanted to hang the chair in the picture grouping, and on it I placed a stuffed rabbit that belonged to my daughter when she was little. I put a green gingham ribbon around it's neck to match the bed quilt and curtains. I hung it under the framed words from the beginning of the Peter Rabbit story.



For one of the frames I used a few paragraphs from of one of the books and cut out two circles, one a little smaller than the other. Then, I cut out two rabbit ear shapes. I put them together to look like a rabbit and then added a large cotton ball for the tail. I glued it to a green piece of card stock and put it in a frame without the glass.


The pictures I love the most are of the mice in the shoe, and the mouse wearing a dress and knitting. They are so sweet and very girly.



There are the classic Peter rabbit pictures, and Beatrix Potter wrote poems, nursery rhymes, and stories that had some very sweet illustrations of animals dressed up. It was hard to choose which pictures to use.



I love how the Guinea pig is using the brush on her hair with the hand mirror and perfume bottle sitting next to her.

I am very pleased with the way the wall turned out, and I will have a few more blogs on the baby's room, before I reveal the completed room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grandma's Quilt

  My Paternal Grandma was a quilter. I mean a hardcore, full size, wood frame, hand sewn quilter. I remember as a kid in the 60s and 70s goi...