Friday, June 17, 2016

Happy Birthday Edy!

First day in her new home!
Our dog Edy turned 9 today. She was born on Fathers Day in 2007. We were living in Indiana at the time and the School Counselor at the Middle School where I worked had a mini dachshund that was a therapy dog. Her name was Freddie and she was the sweetest dog I had ever met. Freddie was pregnant and I was really interested in getting one of her puppies. We had a hard sell to convince my husband that he really did want a dog, lol.

Could this puppy be any sweeter?
After the puppies were born and they were several weeks old my son and I went to look at them. We watched to see which one had the best temperament for us, meaning lazy and calm. Then when it was time to choose my husband and I went to make our final choice. My husband picked Edy up and it was love! She not only looked like her Mom, but she had the same sweet temperament.

Doing what she does best. Resting!
Edy has been with us for 9 years and has gone through 3 moves. She handled each one like a champ. She traveled with us for years during hockey seasons and she really loved staying in the hotels with us. Edy would travel with me on my trips from Indiana, with a stop in Ohio for a few days, on our way to Virginia before our first move. She has been on trips from Indiana to Texas and Florida, and from Virginia to Texas and Florida. Never once was she a problem.

Edy on our trip from Texas to Virginia.
Edy has some behavior issues, as do all animals, she loves to get into the trash. Because she is short it is usually the bathroom trash can she chooses. If there is nothing in the trash she is happy to unroll and eat the toilet paper. She also loves Bounce dryer sheets. Edy loves dirty socks and my husband is always more than happy to roll them up and play fetch with her using his work socks. I am not sure who is the discipline problem in that example. In my opinion the biggest behavior issue she has is that she licks everyone. She will sit next to you and lick you forever. Well, she will if you let her, hint, hint husband.

Knees are delicious!
Edy and I are together most of the time now that my kids are out of the house. I have three kids and two grandchildren, and all of them have been called Edy by me at one time or another. I am not proud of it, but there it is.

I am the one and only Edy!
Even though I am the main care giver for Miss Edy, My husband loves her the most. When he is home the two of them are inseparable. She is either standing next to him or on his lap. When he leaves on a business trip and she sees he is leaving with luggage she will sit by the door for hours waiting for him to come home. When he comes home from work, or a trip she whines and cries with joy to see him. I must admit that the kids and I are a bit jealous at times of the bond these two have, lol.

When will he get home?
I describe Edy as the dog that acts like a koala. She sleeps pretty much 22 out of the 24 hours in the day.

One of her many sleeping positions.
But the best description of this sweet dog is with one word, LOVE! We sure do love her!

Happy Birthday Lady Edy Carmello O'Wickets!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grandma's Quilt

  My Paternal Grandma was a quilter. I mean a hardcore, full size, wood frame, hand sewn quilter. I remember as a kid in the 60s and 70s goi...