Thursday, June 9, 2016

Decoupaged Paper Mache Letters


I have wanted to do something with the brown paper mache letters they sell at craft stores for a long time now. I would walk past them in the stores, and even bought the letters to spell SEW for my sewing room, but I had not started a project with them yet. My granddaughter's nursery has given me the chance to do something fun with the baby's initials.  I bought the letters at Joann Fabrics, but you can get them anywhere, even Walmart. I bought the 12" letters for the nursery project.


I was only going to cover the front of the letters, so I needed to paint the sides and back of the letter before I started to decoupage the front. I painted several coats of white craft paint on the brown letter to make sure it was completely covered.

I purchased several of the same Beatrix Potter Peter Rabbit paperbacks to use to cover the letters. Supplies I needed to start my project were a jar of decoupage glue, an exacto/utility knife, scissors and scrap cardboard. The cardboard was to protect the table surface from any cuts with the utility knife.



To begin, I cut out a page of the book and laid it on the letter using a specific part of the picture, or the words on the page.


When I got the page into the position I wanted it on the letter, I would hold it in place, and use the exacto/utility knife to cut around the edge of the letter.


 I would then take the knife and cut a straight edge or angled cut on the two ends of the piece. I would use the scissors to clean up the edges if needed.


 You can cut the pieces however you like, but I tried to mix it up between pictures and words.


I cut all the pieces out first and then put a light layer of glue on the front of the letter, and laid the cut out pieces on the letter starting at one end and working up or down the letter. When the letter was completely covered I let it dry.  Lastly, I put a layer of Decoupage over the top, and sides of the whole letter.

Here are a few pictures of the finished product up close.




I hung the letters on the wall with velcro picture hangers. Now I can't wait to start the letters for my sewing room.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Grandma's Quilt

  My Paternal Grandma was a quilter. I mean a hardcore, full size, wood frame, hand sewn quilter. I remember as a kid in the 60s and 70s goi...