Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Decorating a Texas Size Fireplace

When we bought our house in Texas it came with a Texas size stone fireplace. The only thing I knew for sure about decorating the fireplace was that I was going to hang a picture on it that I brought with us from Virginia. The picture is very modern and the colors were perfect in the room. The rest of the room is very eclectic and a great mix of modern, traditional and earthy (for lack of another word). For months the picture was hung on the fireplace, but the only other items on the hearth were two large plants, one on each side.

The picture was our starting point.
The colors of the family room are red, orange, a muted lime green, and a dark brown. All these colors were in the fabric that I updated our drapes with, that also matched one of our chairs. Now, I wanted to bring those colors into the decorations on the fireplace.

This is the colorful chair that now matches our drapes.

This fireplace has two small ledges on each side of the hanging picture and then a large mantel. The hearth is a large ledge and is about two feet off the ground. I thought at first that on the small ledges I would get some faux topiaries, but I could not find any I liked. I did find some faux plants in textured tan and brown pots at Home Goods. They were just the right height too!

The pots are a nice texture and color and  the size of the plant is perfect.
While I was at Home Goods I found a large Mexican bottle/vase that was a beautiful mixture of brown, red and orange, and a wicker basket with an interesting design and handles. These will dress up the hearth. In the basket I draped a knit throw and added a pillow that has my childhood home address on it. The pillow was a wonderful gift from my sisters.

The colors on this jar matches the room perfectly.

I received this pillow from my sisters after their visit. The numbers are the house numbers of our childhood home. It had to be displayed prominently in my house. 
My last purchase at Home Goods was a modern orange birdcage. It is not easy to find items in the perfect shade of orange, so this was a great find for my mantel.

 I love the kind of modern and Asian look.
On a trip to Hobby Lobby I found two wood birdhouses and both had a star on them that reminds me of Texas. These houses will go perfectly on the mantel.

For some reason in this house I am using birdcages and birdhouses. They are something new to me and I really like them. Which is funny because I hate birds, thanks to Alfred Hitchcock.
My last purchase was a colorful wood bird wearing a hat that I purchased at a local antique shop while shopping with my visiting sisters. This bird was the perfect complement to the orange birdcage, and put some fun into the grouping for the mantel.

Too bad all birds can't look this cute and non-threatening. 
The change in the fireplace is dramatic. I truly love the mixture of color and styles. The modern and earthy eclectic decor mix works well together.


 I never tire of looking at my fireplace, and it always makes me smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grandma's Quilt

  My Paternal Grandma was a quilter. I mean a hardcore, full size, wood frame, hand sewn quilter. I remember as a kid in the 60s and 70s goi...