Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Family Gun Makers

My 4 times Great Grandfather Peter Humbarger Sr. was a first generation American, born in Berks Co., PA in 1766. He moved his family in 1802 to Perry Co., Ohio and was a farmer and gunsmith by trade.  He opened a gunsmith business in Ohio and taught 3 of his sons Adam, Henry and Peter Jr. (my 3 times Great Grandfather) this trade.
This was a rifle that was up for auction with my 4 times Great Grandfather signature.               

These sons became famous gunsmiths in Ohio and when Henry ended up in Indiana in 1851 he carried the family business into the Hoosier state. They have also been credited as one of the first gun makers to invent the double action trigger. I have no idea what that is exactly, but it was a pretty important invention in the gun industry.

This is a rifle make by my 3 times Great Grandfather. Peter Humbarger  (Humberger) Jr.            

There was an article in the Thornville News on October 1, 1903 about these gun making brothers. Peter Jr., my 3 times Great Grandfather, was the oldest and the tamer of the three gun making sons. Adam was a skilled workman and was not only a gun maker but held 3 patents on his invention of a corn harvester. Henry, while living in Ohio was a gunsmith, cabinet maker and even built a pipe organ for a Lutheran church in Somerset, until he lost his wife, and then went to California for the Gold Rush before settling in Indiana.

This is my Great Great Great Grandfather, love the beard Gramps.

The Historic story was that the three brothers in the Spring of 1832 met at the Peter Humbarger Farm in Hopewell, Ohio to hold a consultation about making a double action trigger. Adam and Peter appointed Henry for the task, as he in their estimation, was the finest workman of the three. Henry completed the double action trigger (pepperbox revolvers) and tried it out at a barn raising. He was hoisted up with a revolver in each hand. He fired them off alternately. The story goes that an agent from the Colt company of New York, came to Ohio, bought some of the Humbarger pepperbox revolvers, and then went to the Somerset workshop. At the workshop he watched Henry work on the double action revolver, and took what he learned back to Colt. Soon after that Colt Co. filed for a patent. A lawsuit followed a few years later, Samuel Colt vs the Massachusetts Arms Company, concerning the repeating revolver. The Humbarger`s guns were used as exhibits in the trial. Adam Humbarger was summoned to give a deposition in Ohio for this trial being held in Boston. The really sad part about his deposition, was that Adam stated that he did not file for a patent for their double action trigger at the time because of the cost. He did send a few of the Humbarger`s revolvers to a friend in DC to see if there was any interest in the revolvers. Adam said he did not know what the man did with the revolvers after he had received them.

In the 2012 book "The Devil`s Right Hand" by M. William Phelps, the awarding winning and national best selling author, Mr Phelps tells the story of the Colt Dynasty. In his book he covers the lives of John C. Colt and his brother Samuel Colt. John was accused of murder and Samuel of stealing the plans for the repeating revolver. In Mr. Phelp`s book the Humbarger Sons are mentioned in regards to the revolver scandal.

I have the book on my Kindle and I am excited to read not only about the cursed Colt family, but how my family played a part in the history of the repeating revolver.

 I do have to admit that the "Colt 45" sounds sexier than the "Humbarger 45".




12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My great-great Grandmother was a Humberger. I'd love to find a Humberger rifle for sale one day. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Humburger Rifle. It is in decent shape, not fireable but a good wallhanger.

      Delete
    2. If you are interested in selling it, I would be interested. My great-great-great grandfather was Adam Humbarger, which is who I am named after. We have a lot of artifacts from the family. You can e-mail me at adamhumbarger@yahoo.com

      Delete
    3. After writing this post I tried to find a Humbarger rifle to purchase and it was impossible to find. R Marshall I would love to see a picture. Adam, I guess we are cousins! How cool is that?

      Delete
  3. My great-great Grandmother was a Humberger. I'd love to find a Humberger rifle for sale one day. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe! I too would love to have a Humbarger rifle but have had not luck in finding one. I have found two cousins though, you and Adam from a previous comment.

      Delete
  4. The Humberger home is currently for sale in Somerset Ohio as of June 3, 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The home is located at 213 w. main street

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looked it up on Realtor.com. Pretty cool piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi!! I wanted to say that I find your families history beautiful and fascinating!! Even more fascinating is that I now live in their home. It’s truly such an honor as I adore history and to know the history of our home is truly amazing! We plan to restore the home to the best of our ability… it’s no secret she’s an old girl and needs some TLC. We hope to tribute the bottom level to Adam. I’d love to rack your brain on more history of our home and your family! Truly loved finding this blog and seeing the face of your great great grandfather Peter! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  8. My 3rd great-grand was Peter Humberger. I have a Humberger rifle, which is not for sale. I just looked at Adam's home on Zillow and am happy someone bought it to restore it. According to an 1859 plat map, Adam's workshop was at 35 Main Street, which when I visited in 2012 was a vacant lot.
    When Adam testified in NY he stated that he moved to Somerset in March of 1834, when his daughter was 1 year old.

    ReplyDelete

Grandma's Quilt

  My Paternal Grandma was a quilter. I mean a hardcore, full size, wood frame, hand sewn quilter. I remember as a kid in the 60s and 70s goi...