Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Texas State Fair: Deep Fried

The main reason to go to any state fair, is to eat, eat, eat!!! When I was a teenager I worked at the Ohio State Fair, and worked in the Lemon Shake Up stand. It was hot, long hours, little pay, many bee stings, and I had a great time. The food we went to the fair to eat back then were simple items like, steak on a stick, a turkey leg, french fries and vinegar, funnel cakes, elephant ears and my personal favorite was a Bob Evans sausage patty sandwich. Bob Evans started in Ohio and the fair was the only place he sold the sausage sandwich. I loved those sandwiches.
The only equipment we needed at the stand besides a
 knife and a lemon squeezer, was a fly swatter for the bees.

Boy how fair food has changed.  Even the turkey leg is being replaced by the smoked hog leg.



 The number one  selling food item at the Texas fair is the Fletcher's corny dog. We had to get our corny dog at 10am before the lines were 20 or more people deep. I have to admit that it was the best corn dog I have ever had, even if it was for breakfast.



Today everything is deep fried. Now, I am no different from the next girl, and love me some fried food, but deep fried butter is way off the charts. The one deep fried item that I wish I had eaten was the deep fried pumpkin pie. Just thinking about it right now makes my mouth water. Maybe next year.

Here are some of the dishes we did not try, and all are deep fried: bubblegum, beer, coke (soda), Jelly Belly jelly beans, Cadbury cream eggs, pizza, kool-aid, salsa, pop tarts, smores, and jambalaya. Not one of these sounds, or looks appealing.

Now for my winner of the best fried food at the Texas State Fair: The deep fried peanut butter, jelly and banana sandwich with optional bacon. My daughter told me about this sandwich and I just had to try it. I am so glad I did!! They make a peanut butter and banana sandwich, dip it in batter, deep fry it, cut it in fourths, squeeze jelly on top, sprinkle on a little powdered sugar, and if you want they will also sprinkle crumbled bacon on top. This was by far one of the best fair foods I have ever had, and I have had a lot of fair food.



Sorry Bob Evans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grandma's Quilt

  My Paternal Grandma was a quilter. I mean a hardcore, full size, wood frame, hand sewn quilter. I remember as a kid in the 60s and 70s goi...