Sunday, October 5, 2014

Updated Table and Chairs

A few posts ago I told you about my youngest Son`s refurbished apartment furniture. Over 20 years ago, it may have been before our youngest was even born, we bought this old farm style kitchen table and chairs. They were an oak color wood, had a table with pedestal legs, four spindle back chairs and a bench. Over the years it went from our family table to the basement table, and now it is our Youngest`s apartment table.

The chairs were in pretty bad shape and they were not very sturdy. The backs were coming apart and the spindles were coming out of the seat of the chair. My husband re-glued the spindles and screwed the end pieces from underneath to make the chairs sturdy again. Ready for paint!

Here are the chairs sitting on plastic in our basement stinking up the entire house ,lol.

I took the chairs out in the back yard, sat them on plastic and spray painted two of them black and the other two red. It took about three coats of paint and one coat of poly, but they turned out great.

I wanted to keep with the theme of the apartment, black, red and Beatles for my Sons dinning room. First, I removed the pedestal leg and replaced it with regular rectangular legs.  I bought them at Home Depot and they came with the brackets to screw the legs into the table. I spray painted the legs red and then sprayed a layer of polyurethane on them. Legs are done!

The table legs were the easiest part of the table transformation.

The table top was a little more difficult. I had to sand it first because it had a coat of polyurethane on it. I used an electric hand sander and was able to get the poly off, and the surface pretty smooth. The problem came with the painting. I put the table top on saw horses and used black spray paint, but just could not get it even enough. There were streak marks in a few places. I tried everything I could think of to get the streaks out. I put more coats on, I ran a smooth roller over it, I even tried a coat of enamel paint. Then I thought OK, what if I write on the table with a paint pen and that would take the attention off the streaks. So, I bought a white paint pen and started writing the names of Beatles songs all over the table top. I wrote them in different sizes and scripts, and had them going in all different directions. When they were dry I put a coat of poly on top. You would never know there were ever any streaks.

I am not even sure my Son knows some of the songs written on his table.

I turned an old dull wood table and chairs into a fun Beatles tribute. The table and chairs go perfectly with the living room decor. I think my son really loves how they all turned out. Not sure they will last another 20 years, but they will get him through grad school.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Grandma's Quilt

  My Paternal Grandma was a quilter. I mean a hardcore, full size, wood frame, hand sewn quilter. I remember as a kid in the 60s and 70s goi...