Monday, April 23, 2018

Texas-Tulips

On our Spring outing to Pilot Point the day before Easter it was the perfect day to check out Texas-Tulips. This is a farm in Pilot Point owned by a couple from the Netherlands. Pieter and Petra Koeman lived in the Netherlands and found a realtor in Texas several years ago to help them find a farm to grow tulips. They have a very interesting story and you can read all about it on the Texas-Tulip website. I encourage you to go to the site and read about the Koemans.


The Texas-Tulips farm is open from mid February until late March-early April. We found out about the farm at the end of the growing season, so I think we just made it before they closed for the season.

This is what the farm looks like at the beginning of the season.

All of the row did not look like this when we were at the the farm.  But you can see all the varieties of tulips they have. 
We arrived at the farm in the early afternoon and it was packed.  Parking is free and there was a $5 fee per person to enter.  Once in the gate you grab a basket and walk down the rows and rows of tulips, then you pick the tulips you want to buy, pay for them, have them wrapped, and then take them home with you. Each picked tulip costs $2.50. You are not to pull them up with the bulb, but pinch them at the base of the stem.

I definitely picked one of these!
When you have picked all the tulips you want, they have booths where you pay for your bouquet. The workers put a gel wrap on the stems, and wrap the bouquet in your color choice of tissue paper. The variety of types of tulips is simply amazing.  I truly had no idea there were so many.

My self picked Tulip Bouquet!
They were so beautiful!


I just may order some bulbs for next year.
I picked 8 tulips, took them home and put them on our patio table for Easter dinner. That's right we ate Easter dinner outside. I love Texas, and I love Texas-Tulips!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grandma's Quilt

  My Paternal Grandma was a quilter. I mean a hardcore, full size, wood frame, hand sewn quilter. I remember as a kid in the 60s and 70s goi...